Vice Chancellor’s Message
During my visit to Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth (CVV) in December 2017, Swami Advayananda suggested I attend a few classes and interact with faculty. And thus I discovered a cluster of amazingly talented faculty and an innovative curriculum. The classes I attended were interactive and lively. They were not the traditional monologues of teachers with students taking notes without lifting their heads. One of the classes I attended was on Dharma Shastra and to my surprise the audience was not Sanskrit students but first-year students of BBA! I was intrigued in the beginning and hooked at the end. It was about a year earlier that I had met Pujya Swami Swaroopananda, at our Chinmaya Mission Centre in Maryland (CMWRC), and asked if there was any particular way I could support the CVV project. And he had asked me to visit Chinmaya Eshwar Gurukula (CEG). Rest as they say is history…Now, here I am with an inside view of how CVV has set a course towards accomplishing a seemingly impossible task of seamlessly blending the Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS) with Contemporary Knowledge Systems (CKS).
In these pages, you will find an overview of CVV, introduction to our faculty and staff, a glimpse of numerous student activities. Our goal is to produce:
- A Sanskrit scholar with a strong background in quantitative methods, with skills to be employed by a financial services company and give them the benefit of Chanakya’s Arthashastra;
- A medical graduate who also knows, practices and prescribes yoga;
- A BBA graduate, who becomes a manager and can quote, and implement principles from Bhagavad Gita;
- A B.Com graduate who becomes a chartered accountant and can talk to the client about Dharma Shastra;
- A psychologist who is also conversant with Yoga Shastra.
Our goal is to combine IKS and CKS to produce applicable research with immediate relevance in modern life. To find the lost nuggets of knowledge from Hindu scriptures and ancient Indian literature, and to establish their link to the needs of today’s society. Further, to disseminate these findings throughout the world.
CVV is an extraordinary opportunity inspired by the vision of our Gurudev, Swami Chinmayananda. I invite you to explore these pages to find your role in this great endeavor.
Prof. Nagaraj Neerchal