Smritis, Itihasas, Puranas blended with Contemporary Applications in Liberal Arts, Law and Commerce
The School of ethics, governance, culture and social systems, offers a variety of opportunities to engage with society and politics through academic discussion, research and policy initiatives/interventions. We play a prominent role in the vision and mission of Chinmaya Viswavidyapeeth, University for Sanskrit and Indic Traditions, to be an academic platform that bridges Indian Knowledge Traditions (IKT) with current-day applications in every sphere in society. Along the lines of this central thought, EGCS School aims to integrate Indian Knowledge Traditions (IKT) to the contemporary academic discourse of humanities, social sciences and language studies. It recognises the principle that not only every nation or community but also every individual should be able to follow its/his own developmental path. Therefore we emphasise holistic and multidisciplinary studies in language and social sciences and offer courses, which helps the students to internalize the values of humanity.
We execute this vision by informing the study of social sciences with the ethical, political, cultural, social and humanitarian dimensions underlying the present local and global concerns. It also envisages enriching the study of Sanskrit and Indian culture by an inter-disciplinary understanding of sociology, philosophy, political science, law, public administration, anthropology, history, social work.
At present, we run post-graduate programmes M.A. Public Policy and Governance, LL.M Legal Theory (2 years) and LL.M. International Trade and Commercial Laws (1 Year). All of these programmes offer unique teaching and learning experience of public policy and law blended with the contemporary knowledge and insights of ancient Indian knowledge systems (sastras). Systematically selected lessons from contemporary liberal arts, governance and legal studies, economics, management, behavioural science, cultural studies, language and Sanskrit studies etc. are the highlight of these programmes.
At the University Campus, where the faculty members and students from all parts of the globe come and unite as a family, we endeavour to promote the best mix of cosmopolitan and communitarian interests. The extolled principle of all-inclusiveness, which according to our Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda is the supreme vision of life and world order, guides our actions and goals. We embrace and celebrate the diversity of values, knowledge and culture.
The EGCS School seeks to:
- Evolve as a pioneering academic platform, to introduce creative models of Humanities and social science education in India
- Evolve as an Institute of Excellence, to mould our students into leaders with required knowledge, skills and ABC (attitude, behaviour and character) to bring positive global order by integrating ancient and modern, science and spirituality.
- Promote studies in Governance, Political Science, Law, Ethics, Sanskrit, History, Geography, Culture, Indology, Anthropology, Sociology, Economics, and Environment and to engage in multi-disciplinary, research activities.
- Develop and maintain a community of scholars to critically engage in research activities and to bring a new educational system, which commensurate with the vision of School and the University.
- Evolve as a centre of interdisciplinary excellence in Dharma Studies blending the knowledge of Dharmasastras with contemporary disciplines.
- Initiate, undertake and execute independent research projects along with government and other partner institutions in humanities, social sciences and literature studies, especially in the field of Culture, history Law and Public Policy.