This workshop takes off from the foundation level and the participants will be familiarised with musical forms, namely swarajati, varnam and kriti. It will enable the participants to transcend from Abhyasa Ganam to Sabha Ganam.
The objective of this workshop is to
- help learners practice exercises in advanced ata talam and adi talam
- help learners progress from basic musical forms to advanced musical forms called varnams and kritis
- provide indepth knowledge in the structural differences of various musical forms
- make learners sing compositions in new ragas to enhance the range of musical exposure
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- comprehend the structure of swarajati, varnam, kriti
- sing three adi tala varnams and one ata tala varnam
- sing tisra prayogam in varnam
- sing three kritis
- describe the basics of Raga Lakshanam
- explain two among the tala dasa pranas (Graham and Kalam)
The teaching of this course will comprise the following components.
- Instruction: Theory sessions to understand concepts, terminology, compositions etc in Carnatic Music.
- Practice: Sadhakam (exercises - single/group) training to enhance singing and rhythm techniques.
- Listening: Listening to performances by maestros to understand various musical forms, the application of ragam in Manodharma by various musicians, the role of Gamaka, the role of accompanying artists in a concert, their coordination etc.
- Reading: Suggested bibliography for insight into relevant areas of Carnatic Music
- Tasks: Assignments for analyses and comparative study.
- Singing evaluation: To assess the individual and group performance of the participants.
- 75% marks in Sangeeta Pallava – 1 (Course code – KY958, 3 credits)
- Ability to sing an Adi tala Varnam in first and second speed.
Assignments (20%) –
- Structure of swarajati and varnams
- Ragalakshanam – Mohanam, Pantuvarali, Arabhi
Classroom participation (10%) – Class presence and involvement
Interim singing evaluation (20%) –
- Swarajati, Adi tala Varnam - Mohanam
- Atala varnam, adi tala varnam – Bahudhari
Interim theory (10%) –
- Tala dasa pranas, technical terms
Final Viva of performance (40%) – Including theory singing topics covered in the course