The is a two-year master’s degree programme that opens avenues into the world of performing arts for naturally talented aspirants, and into the world of careers in music for those passionate in the arts. This programme has been meticulously designed by educationists and renowned performing artists who see the value of both, a university education, as well as the gurukula method of teaching. This programme is offered only at the Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula campus in Kolwan, near Pune.
- Vadan Padhati
- Vistar Padhati
- Vistar Shaili
- Basic Sangeet Shastra for Tabla
- Taal Adhyan
- Laya Adhyan
- Avistarksham Rachna
- Rachna Vistar
- Research Methodology and Cultural Musicology
- Perspectives of Nikas
- Perspectives of Sadhana
- Vadan Shaili
- Vadan Kriya
- Advanced Sangeet Shastra for Tabla
- Thoughts of Gharana
- Perspectives of Gharana
- Gharandaz Bandish
- Ghrandaz Vadan Shaili
- Music Education and Aesthetics for Music
- Concert Presentation
- Introduction to Carnatic Music
- Music Production and Arrangement
Note: Generic electives from other streams can be chosen with additional credits. Details may be sought from the department, if interested.
Any undergraduate degree with 50% marks or an equivalent CGPA, with prior training in Tabla. There will also be an audition to determine the final selection of candidates for the programme. Aspirants with an undergraduate degree in Music and adequate music skills, or those who have cleared some formal music exams will be given preference.
The degree enables the student to become performing artists in different genres and teachers of Tabla either independently or in music schools and educational institutions. They can also become researchers in musicology.
A student should complete all the Core and Foundational Courses, along with their chosen Minor(s). In the last semester, students will be required to give a public performance as a part of the Mega Project
- What is the duration and intensity of this programme?
The M.A. Music programme is a full-time, four semester, two year programme. While it is mainly a residential programme, a non-residential option may be considered for valid reasons.
- What is the uniqueness of this programme?
The programme is a unique integration of academics wrapped with lots of practice, which helps in shaping great performers with a firm foundation in the shastras. The focus is on performance, and the number of hours dedicated for practice justifies this focus.
- Who should apply for this programme?
Any graduate student with a musical background who is exploring a career in music, such as performance, teaching, music arrangement or any other related field.
- What are the different courses taught as a part of this programme?
Refer to ‘Program Structure’ section above.
- What is the faculty profile?
Fully qualified faculty handle the core courses along with renowned performing artists who visit the campus on a regular basis. Guest faculty are invited to deliver specialised courses.
- Are internships provided during the programme?
- I am a graduate but I do not have any certification in music. Can I apply for the course?
Yes. Your skills in music will be judged during the audition and interview. Your admission is subject to clearing them.
- I have a Sangeet Visharad/Sangeet Praveen degree/graduation from AIR (All India Radio) but I do not have a graduate degree from any university. Can I apply for the programme?
- Dr. Anaya Thatte, Expert
- Dr. Chaitanya Kunte, Expert
- Dr. K. Jayakrishnan, Expert
- Dr. Jayashree Rajagopalan, Expert
- Vidushi Manjusha Patil, Professor, School of Kalayoga
- Pt. Rupak Kulkarni, Professor, School of Kalayoga
- Pt. Abhijit Banerjee, Professor, School of Kalayoga
- Smt. Pramodini Rao, Director, Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula
- Shri Swapnil Chaphekar, Assistant Professor and Head, School of Kalayoga
- Dr. Prabhavathy P. N., Assistant Professor, School of Kalayoga
- Shri Atul Kamble, Assistant Professor, School of Kalayoga
- Shri Jayateerth Kulkarni, Assistant Professor, School of Kalayoga
- Dipin Das, Student Representative
- Jaykishan Hingu, Student Representative