- By 2050, the number of people employed in renewable energy could reach 42 million worldwide (IRENA_Global_Renewables_Outlook_2020)
- Around 12 million man-days’ employment is being created per annum in the Renewable Energy Sector in India (MNRE Annual Report)
- Voc. (Master of Vocation) in Renewable Energy Management is a post-graduate programme focusing on generating qualified professionals with technical and managerial expertise and employability skills who are ready for a successful career. This uniqueness makes the M.Voc. programme offered by CVV different from other traditional PG courses.
The M.Voc. in Renewable Energy Management being a career-oriented PG programme has a multidisciplinary and integrated approach. It emphasizes practical applications, industry exposure and research–based study more than theoretical knowledge. The curriculum deals with various aspects of renewable energy technology, sustainable energy sources and management, Environmental issues and management, applications of rural energy technology, energy equipment, energy auditing, energy policies, project management, start-up training etc. Further, the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) followed at CVV that offers a diversified stream of elective courses including SWAYAM/ MOOC courses, catering to the interest and aptitude of students.
For programme delivery, a blended learning mode is adopted to facilitate the direct participation of students in the learning process such as industry-academia interactions, continued exposure/training in industries, case studies, projects, research studies etc. to get them industry-ready.
- After the successful completion of two years, the student can exit with a Master of Vocation Degree.
After the successful completion of one year, if the student desires so, the student can exit with a PG Diploma.
- Course Designing: Industry experts, as members of the Board of Studies at CVV, were involved in finalising the curriculum content and coverage, in terms of professional and technological requirements.
- Industry Interaction: Industry-academia interactions on and off the campus, to facilitate better awareness among students on corporate environment and industry requirements.
- On-the-job training for the students to acquire specific job-related skills, employability and project-related
- Placement support.
Collaboration with Training Institutions:
Tie-ups with reputed skill-training institutions to offer opportunities for additional certification in technical/managerial skills.
Upward Mobility for Higher Studies:
Candidates can pursue a Ph.D. in their chosen subject area of renewable energy, build their career in the field of research and development or enter the teaching profession.
Starting their Own Business:
The curriculum has an in-built component of entrepreneurial skill training to equip the students with the necessary knowledge and skill to develop and execute their business plan in Renewable Energy.
With the necessary inputs to develop professional competence and expertise with periodic monitoring, the most prominent feature of the curriculum, is to get the students job-ready at the exit points. The prospective sectors of employment are government departments, educational institutions, private and public enterprises.
To research, develop and involve in the production of new energy through natural resources, such as the extraction of oil and gas, as well as from renewable or sustainable sources of energy, including biofuels, hydro, wind and solar power and reduce emissions from fossil fuels and minimise environmental damage.
Renewable Energy Manager
To increase the energy production of clean energy sources like wind and solar power. To monitor and develop alternative energy outputs, new means for energy extraction.
Product Manager/Customer Relations Manager
To identify customers’ needs to improve existing products or to develop new products. To implement the latest technology to improve products, develop strategies to meet customer demands, working with other departments, as well as monitoring the progress of new products.
Consultancy Services and Entrepreneurship
To provide consultancy services for renewable energy system installation according to demand.
To teach at undergraduate and graduate levels in areas related to renewable energy, solar energy and other energy technologies.
A Bachelor in Vocation (B.Voc.) degree in Renewable Energy or allied areas or B.Sc. Physics with minimum 50% marks, from any recognised university.
These courses enable students to specialise in a core area and develop expertise for gainful living. The core courses to be taken up by the student are:
- Conventional and Renewable Energy Resources and Systems
- Energy Economics
- Energy Auditing Instrumentation
- Skill Training: Industrial/ Institutional Based
- Industrial Organisation and Management
- Energy Conservation and Management
- Bio and Hydro Energy Sources
- On Job Training: Industry internship – I
- Wind Energy Conservation Systems
- Entrepreneurship and Project Development
- On Job Training: Industry Internship – II
- Waste Management and Energy Generation
- On Job Training: Industry Internship – III
- Energy Modelling and Simulation – Lab
These are discipline-specific courses that belong to the core area that the student has opted for but are designed to allow students to choose specialisations within that field. Students must complete at least six Elective Courses to be eligible for the award of their degree. At the same time, Electives are also designed to allow students a certain amount of flexibility.
The Electives currently offered are:
- Energy Audit Management
- Numerical Methods in Heat Transfer
- Net Zero Energy Buildings
- Technical Writing
- Energy Storage Technology
- Hydrogen Energy and Fuel Cells
- Integrated Energy System
- Electrical Energy Systems Management
- Energy Policies and Legislation
- Geothermal and Ocean Energy
- Renewable Energy Software Skill Training: WAsP, PVsyst
- Business Communication and Public Relations
- Strategic Leadership and Change Management
- MOOC/Swayam Course
- Communication Skills and Leadership
Industry project work and on-the-job training in the industry in addition to contact classes are a part of the curriculum.
- Indian Knowledge Systems I
- Indian Knowledge Systems II
- Environment in Ancient India – Seminar approach
- Research Methods
On completion of the M.Voc. Renewable Energy Management programme, the learners will be able to:
- Apply their knowledge and professional skills to effectively perform specific job roles in the field of energy generation, conservation and energy-efficient technologies.
- Get acquainted with the industry environment and develop the appropriate industry attitude for quality performance of the specific job roles in the industry.
- Develop entrepreneurial skills to initiate their own enterprise.
- Optimise energy systems and offer consultancy services.
Provide renewable energy technologies for environmental sustainability
To be eligible for the award of the Master’s degree, a student must satisfy all the criteria listed below.
- The student must obtain a grade of P or above (Grade Point 4 or above) in all the required courses.
- At the end of four semesters, the student must have successfully earned at least 120 credits.
- At the end of four semesters, the student must have a CGPA of 5.5 or above.
- As per UGC guidelines, there are multiple exit points for a candidate admitted to this course. If he/she completes all four semesters successfully, he/she will be awarded the M.Voc. degree in Renewable Energy Management. If he/she completes the first two semesters successfully, he/she will receive an Advanced PG Diploma in Renewable Energy Management.
*Scholarships and financial aid available (https://www.cvv.ac.in/scholarship).
Renewable Energy studies are acquiring greater significance the world over. The importance of Renewable Energy as a viable alternative to overcome the energy crisis is well recognised. The diversity, abundance and potential use anywhere on the planet, without compromising the ecology, are the unique features of renewable energy sources.
Considering the fast-growing energy demand of India, compared to all the major economies of the world, the Government of India has set up an ambitious target of producing 100,000 MW of solar energy and 60,000 MW of wind power by 2022. This generates a huge demand for skilled manpower (1.3 million) in the renewable energy sector. The unavailability of skilled manpower, as per CEEW and NRDC reports, is posing a big challenge to the booming renewable energy industries. Bridging this skill gap between demand and supply of skilled manpower is the main objective of this M.Voc. (Master of Vocation) in Renewable Energy Management programme.