A teacher in the 21st– century classroom performs many roles: that of a facilitator, a trainer, a counsellor and above all, an educator. And yet, today’s teacher cannot just be a generalist all-rounder. As jobs become ever more specialised, teachers also have to become specialists, capable not only of instructing, inspiring and educating the next generation, but also possessing the knowledge and expertise to be considered scholars in their own right.
The four-year innovative, integrated BSc BEd (Mathematics) programme primarily aims at preparing such new-age specialised Mathematics teachers. The programme is also an ideal choice for those who wish to pursue their passion for Mathematics with the additional benefit of a professional degree, on an accelerated timeline. It encourages aspiring secondary school mathematics teachers and mathematicians to do an in-depth study of Mathematics and trains them in pedagogy, assessment and classroom management. The programme, through a combination of theoretical discussions, practical explorations in terms of workshops, school internships and field visits ensures that the students are fully prepared, as teachers, to meet the challenges of contemporary classrooms and/or to pursue higher studies in Mathematics, Education and other allied fields.
- A minimum of 60% overall marks in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination)
- A minimum of 65% marks in Mathematics in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination)
- There will also be an interview to determine the final selection of candidates for the programme.
|Professional Education Courses|
|Discipline-specific Courses in Education|
|Elective 1 options:|
|Elective 2 options:|
|Elective 3 options:|
|Elective 4 options:|
|Minor Courses||These are general/open elective courses open to students of all UG programmes at CVV. These courses allow students to exercise their choice and explore their interests in various fields beyond their core areas. They help them to grow into well-rounded individuals by providing them with a truly interdisciplinary learning experience. While the B.Sc.B.Ed. (Mathematics) programme requires students to take two Minor Courses, they may take additional such courses for more credits, if they feel able to do so. There are several Minor Courses that students can choose from various streams, and the offering changes each year. The full list of such courses is available in the CVV Prospectus 2021-22.|
|Proficiency Courses (compulsory)|
(*These are offered as complementary courses: students must only take either one of them, based on their proficiency level)
|Foundation Courses (compulsory)|
|Self-Immersion Course (compulsory)||Yoga and Meditation|
On completion of the B.Sc.B.Ed. Mathematics programme, graduates will be able to:
- Appreciate the role of a teacher in the prevailing socio-cultural and political systems in general, and in the education system in particular.
- Use subject-specific expertise and pedagogical skills to teach Mathematics effectively in a secondary school classroom.
- Facilitate meaningful learning experiences for diverse kinds of learners, using appropriate resources, including technology.
- Appreciate the significance of Mathematics as a precursor to various scientific developments since the beginning of civilization.
- Communicate various concepts, principles and generalisations of Mathematics effectively using examples and their various representations.
- Apply the skills of mathematical thinking and problem-solving to formulate various models of Mathematics and their applicability, contributing to the Mathematics literature and social welfare at large.
- Apply principles and concepts from traditional Indian knowledge and value systems in their lives and professions, including teaching.
- Build upon their understanding of Mathematics as well as perspectives of Education, and continue their pursuit of knowledge in those fields.
- Discipline-specific electives which allow students to choose their specialised courses within the core discipline of Mathematics
- Discipline-specific pedagogy courses provide students with methodologies and strategies unique to the teaching of that discipline
- Project in Mathematics – an opportunity for research at the undergraduate level
- A unique set of Foundation Courses rooted in Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS), as well as the Chinmaya Values Programme (CVP)
- Hands-on learning experience with varied pedagogical practices including school internships (20 weeks)
CORE FACULTY INFORMATION
Professor of Education and Head, School of Ethics, Governance, Culture and Social Systems (EGCS)
Assistant Professor of Mathematics | Programme Director, B.Sc.B.Ed. Mathematics Programme
Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics and Computer Applications
Assistant Professor of Education
Assistant Professor of Education
Visiting Faculty of Mathematics
Assistant Professor of Education
- What do BSc BEd and BA BEd stand for?
Ans: BSc BEd stands for Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Education.
BA BEd stands for Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education.
- Why do you use the nomenclature BSc BEd and BA BEd?
Ans: These are four-year innovative Integrated Teacher Education Programmes (ITEP) which are equivalent to two degree programmes namely BSc and BEd and BA and BEd respectively. Following the UGC nomenclature for dual degree programmes, we have used the nomenclature Integrated BSc BEd and Integrated BA BEd [Ref. UGC Specification of Degrees, March 2014. ]
- Are these programmes recognised by the concerned body?
Ans: Yes. The programmes are recognised by the concerned body i.e. the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE-SRC). [Ref. Letter of recognition/ approval]
- What are the combinations/specialisations offered?
Ans: We offer the BSc BEd programme with specialisation in Mathematics and the BA BEd programme with specialisation in English Literature.
- What are the objectives of these programmes?
Ans: The primary objective of these programmes is to produce effective and efficient teachers specialised in a single discipline as well as in the pedagogy of that discipline (Mathematics/English). These programmes also aim to produce good Mathematicians/Litterateurs by providing them with a solid foundation to pursue higher education in their respective disciplines.
- Am I eligible to pursue a Master’s degree programme on completion of these programmes?
Ans: Yes. On successful completion of any of these programmes, the candidates are eligible to pursue Master’s degree programmes in either their core discipline (Mathematics/English) or in Education (M.Ed./M.A. Education) in any Indian university or abroad.
- Am I eligible for teaching posts in state/central government schools on the award of BSc BEd or BA BEd degrees from CVV?
Ans: Yes. These programmes are recognised and approved by NCTE and by the policies of states and the centre for the recruitment of TGTs (Trained Graduate Teachers). BSc BEd and BA BEd degree holders are eligible for the post of TGTs.
- How do you say that the BSc BEd programme is equivalent to the B.Sc. and B.Ed. degree of any university?
Ans: The courses offered in the BSc BEd programme are at par with those offered in the BSc Mathematics (Hons.) and BEd degree programmes of any other university. The minimum core curriculum is maintained in the programmes.
- How do you say that the BA BEd programme is equivalent to the BA and BEd degrees of any university?
Ans: The courses offered in the BA BEd programme are at par with those offered in the BA (English)/BA and BEd degree programmes of any other university. The minimum core curriculum is maintained in all the programmes.
- What is unique about the BSc BEd/BA BEd programmes at CVV?
Ans: The BSc BEd/BA BEd programmes at CVV are single major (discipline) – single pedagogy programmes. Students undergoing these programmes gain deeper knowledge in both their chosen discipline and pedagogy. These programmes prepare teachers for the modern-day, state-of-the-art schools, equipping them with knowledge of the latest research and technologies in teaching and learning. These programmes also offer courses on Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS) and the Chinmaya Vision Programme (CVP), thus preparing well-rounded teachers more than equipped to take on the challenging role of shaping our future citizens.
- Can I exit early from the programme obtaining a single degree? Do I get two separate degrees on completing the four-year programme successfully?
Ans: No. These are integrated programmes and no early exit will be provided to any candidate under any circumstances. A single degree (BSc BEd/BA BEd) will be awarded on successful completion of the four-year programme mentioning the specialisation.
- What is the fee structure for the programme?
Ans: Visit the following link for details https://www.cvv.ac.in/howtoapply
- What is the eligibility for getting admission to these programmes?
Ans: 1. A minimum of 60% overall marks in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination).
2. A minimum of 65% marks in Mathematics in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination) for BSc BEd (Mathematics).
3. A minimum of 65% marks in English in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination) for BA BEd (English Literature)
There will also be an interview to determine the final selection of candidates for the programme.
- Since this is a four-year programme, will this be considered to be an Honours degree?
Ans: No. This programme is not an Honours degree programme.
- In case we wish to go abroad to do our Master’s, will this be considered as a four-year Bachelor degree which will entitle us to directly go for Masters in some universities abroad?
Ans: Yes. One can pursue Master’s in universities abroad in either the concerned discipline or in education, after the successful completion of this programme.
- Is this the same as the new course announced by the HRD Ministry in July 2019 ?
Ans: These programmes BSc BEd and BA BEd at CVV were conceived much before the announcement of the four-year BEd programmes by the HRD Ministry in July 2019. Though these programmes come under the same umbrella of ITEPs, the programmes at CVV are categorised under ‘Innovative Integrated Teacher Education Programmes’.
- What kind of jobs can I opt for, after this programme?
Ans: After the programme, you are eligible to apply for teaching positions in schools at the high school level (till class 10) and teach your chosen discipline (English or Mathematics). Our placement cell will assist you with this.
- You can also pursue other career paths. For example, you can opt for journalism, content development, translation, etc. on completion of a BA BEd English Literature programme. After a BSc BEd Mathematics programme, you can also choose to work in the banking sector, IT companies and other related fields.