The four-year innovative, integrated BA BEd English programme with a unique ‘Single Major–Single Pedagogy’ approach, is primarily aimed at preparing specialised new-age teachers of English language and literature. The graduates of this programme would not only be capable of educating and inspiring the next generation but would also possess the knowledge and expertise in the discipline to be considered scholars in their own right.
The programme is also an ideal choice for those who wish to pursue their passion for English Literature with the additional benefit of a professional degree, on an accelerated timeline. A background in varied aspects of education will provide the graduates with valuable cross disciplinary perspectives on English Literature. Learning to teach will also enable them to be better learners as well as better communicators in their future fields of action, with an enviable ability to understand the needs of those whom they interact with.
The programme strives to empower aspiring teachers and litterateurs through an array of fascinating courses, workshops, school internships, field visits, and much more. It also enables the students to meet the challenges of contemporary workplaces, including classrooms, and prepares them for leading a meaningful life as well.
- A minimum of 60% overall marks in 12th standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination)
- A minimum of 65% marks in English in 12th standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination)
There will also be an interview to determine the final selection of candidates for the programme.
Core Courses (Compulsory)
|Core Courses in English Literature|
|Core Courses in Professional Education|
|Core Courses in Teaching of English|
Core Electives (Compulsory with Choices)
|Core Elective 1|
|Core Elective 2|
|Core Elective 3|
|Core Elective 4|
Minor Courses (Compulsory with Choices)
|These are general/open elective courses, open to students of all UG programmes at CVV. These courses allow students to exercise their choice and explore their interests in various fields beyond their core areas. They help them to grow into well-rounded individuals by providing them with a truly interdisciplinary learning experience. While the B.A.B.Ed. programme requires students to take two Minor courses, they may take additional such courses for more credits, if they feel able to do so. There are a number of Minor courses that students can choose from various streams, and the offering changes each year. The full list of such courses is available in the CVV Prospectus 2021-22.|
Proficiency Courses (Compulsory)
Foundation Courses (Compulsory)
Self-immersion Courses (Compulsory)
|Yoga and Meditation|
- On successful completion of the programme, a student is eligible to teach English upto class 10, at any secondary school.
- They can pursue a postgraduate degree in the English, Education or allied disciplines such as Linguistics.
- The intensive Integrated programme gives the student a degree that is equivalent to two degrees.
- CVV’s Minor courses offering which allows UG students to explore other domains beyond their core discipline.
- Discipline-specific pedagogy courses provide students with methodologies and strategies unique to the teaching of that discipline
- CVV offers a unique set of Foundation Courses rooted in Indian Knowledge Traditions, as well as the Chinmaya Values Programme (CVP)
- Discipline-specific electives which allow students to choose their own specialised courses within their core discipline
- Detailed Textual Study Courses which enable students of English Literature to do a comprehensive study of texts by great authors
- Option for doing a dissertation – an opportunity for research at the undergraduate level
- Hands-on Learning Experience with varied pedagogical practices including seminar courses and School Internship (20 weeks)
Note: There is no exit option after three years. The student must complete the full four years, with the required course load, in order to receive the B.A.B.Ed. degree. To be eligible for the award of the B.A.B.Ed. degree, a student must satisfy all the criteria listed below.
- The student must obtain grade P or above (grade point 4 or above) in all required courses.
- At the end of eight semesters, the student must have successfully earned at least 173 credits.
- At the end of eight semesters, the student must have a CGPA of 5.5 or above.
- The student must have met the completion requirements for all the Self-immersion courses.
- What do BSc BEd and BA BEd stand for?
Ans: BSc BEd stands for Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Education.
BA BEd stands for Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education.
- Why do you use the nomenclature BSc BEd and BA BEd?
Ans: These are four-year innovative Integrated Teacher Education Programmes (ITEP) which are equivalent to two degree programmes namely BSc and BEd and BA and BEd respectively. Following the UGC nomenclature for dual degree programmes, we have used the nomenclature Integrated BSc BEd and Integrated BA BEd [Ref. UGC Specification of Degrees, March 2014. ]
- Are these programmes recognised by the concerned body?
Ans: Yes. The programmes are recognised by the concerned body i.e. the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE-SRC). [Ref. Letter of recognition/ approval]
- What are the combinations/specialisations offered?
Ans: We offer the BSc BEd programme with specialisation in Mathematics and the BA BEd programme with specialisation in English Literature.
- What are the objectives of these programmes?
Ans: The primary objective of these programmes is to produce effective and efficient teachers specialised in a single discipline as well as in the pedagogy of that discipline (Mathematics/English). These programmes also aim to produce good Mathematicians/Litterateurs by providing them with a solid foundation to pursue higher education in their respective disciplines.
- Am I eligible to pursue a Master’s degree programme on completion of these programmes?
Ans: Yes. On successful completion of any of these programmes, the candidates are eligible to pursue Master’s degree programmes in either their core discipline (Mathematics/English) or in Education (M.Ed./M.A. Education) in any Indian university or abroad.
- Am I eligible for teaching posts in state/central government schools on the award of BSc BEd or BA BEd degrees from CVV?
Ans: Yes. These programmes are recognised and approved by NCTE and by the policies of states and the centre for the recruitment of TGTs (Trained Graduate Teachers). BSc BEd and BA BEd degree holders are eligible for the post of TGTs.
- How do you say that the BSc BEd programme is equivalent to the B.Sc. and B.Ed. degree of any university?
Ans: The courses offered in the BSc BEd programme are at par with those offered in the BSc Mathematics (Hons.) and BEd degree programmes of any other university. The minimum core curriculum is maintained in the programmes.
- How do you say that the BA BEd programme is equivalent to the BA and BEd degrees of any university?
Ans: The courses offered in the BA BEd programme are at par with those offered in the BA (English)/BA and BEd degree programmes of any other university. The minimum core curriculum is maintained in all the programmes.
- What is unique about the BSc BEd/BA BEd programmes at CVV?
Ans: The BSc BEd/BA BEd programmes at CVV are single major (discipline) – single pedagogy programmes. Students undergoing these programmes gain deeper knowledge in both their chosen discipline and pedagogy. These programmes prepare teachers for the modern-day, state-of-the-art schools, equipping them with knowledge of the latest research and technologies in teaching and learning. These programmes also offer courses on Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS) and the Chinmaya Vision Programme (CVP), thus preparing well-rounded teachers more than equipped to take on the challenging role of shaping our future citizens.
- Can I exit early from the programme obtaining a single degree? Do I get two separate degrees on completing the four-year programme successfully?
Ans: No. These are integrated programmes and no early exit will be provided to any candidate under any circumstances. A single degree (BSc BEd/BA BEd) will be awarded on successful completion of the four-year programme mentioning the specialisation.
- What is the fee structure for the programme?
Ans: Visit the following link for details https://www.cvv.ac.in/howtoapply
- What is the eligibility for getting admission to these programmes?
Ans: 1. A minimum of 60% overall marks in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination).
2. A minimum of 65% marks in Mathematics in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination) for BSc BEd (Mathematics).
3. A minimum of 65% marks in English in 12th Standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination) for BA BEd (English Literature)
There will also be an interview to determine the final selection of candidates for the programme.
- Since this is a four-year programme, will this be considered to be an Honours degree?
Ans: No. This programme is not an Honours degree programme.
- In case we wish to go abroad to do our Master’s, will this be considered as a four-year Bachelor degree which will entitle us to directly go for Masters in some universities abroad?
Ans: Yes. One can pursue Master’s in universities abroad in either the concerned discipline or in education, after the successful completion of this programme.
- Is this the same as the new course announced by the HRD Ministry in July 2019 ?
Ans: These programmes BSc BEd and BA BEd at CVV were conceived much before the announcement of the four-year BEd programmes by the HRD Ministry in July 2019. Though these programmes come under the same umbrella of ITEPs, the programmes at CVV are categorised under ‘Innovative Integrated Teacher Education Programmes’.
- What kind of jobs can I opt for, after this programme?
Ans: After the programme, you are eligible to apply for teaching positions in schools at the high school level (till class 10) and teach your chosen discipline (English or Mathematics). Our placement cell will assist you with this.
- You can also pursue other career paths. For example, you can opt for journalism, content development, translation, etc. on completion of a BA BEd English Literature programme. After a BSc BEd Mathematics programme, you can also choose to work in the banking sector, IT companies and other related fields.