Dr. Radha Mohan is a Professor and the Head of the School of Ethics, Governance, Culture and Social Systems (EGCS). Prof. Radha Mohan brings with her over three decades of experience in teacher education. She was a UGC JRF while pursuing a Doctorate Degree in Education from the University of Madras. She is a postgraduate in Physics from the Madras Christian College, Chennai and has won the prestigious gold medal in PG Diploma in Higher Education from IGNOU.
Beginning her career in schools as a Physics Teacher for higher secondary students, she moved on to Stella Matutina College of Education from where she voluntarily retired as Reader. While at Stella Matutina College of Education, she was the coordinator of the IQAC, besides heading the research wing of the college. She then joined Rajalakshmi College of Education, Thandalam, as Principal and was responsible for setting up the B.Ed. and M.Ed. programmes there.
Always passionate about writing, Dr Radha Mohan completed a course in Technical Writing from the Simon Fraser University, Canada. Books authored by her are in use as text books in several universities. Dr. Radha Mohan has been an active researcher, having worked on several UGC projects and is a well-published author. Her contribution to teacher education has been widely appreciated. She was instrumental in starting new courses like Technical Writing, at the Stella Matutina College of Education. She has guided several Ph.D. and Master's candidates and has been an examiner for M.Ed., M.Phil. and Ph.D. theses of Annamalai, Madras, SNDT, Mumbai, Kerala and Karnatak Universities as well as some autonomous colleges in Chennai.
Having been a NAAC and NCTE visiting team member, she has had several opportunities to see the working of other institutions first-hand. She has chaired, moderated and addressed national and international seminars, conferences and workshops. As a convener, Dr. Radha Mohan has conducted numerous national and international conferences and workshops sponsored by the UGC, NAAC and Universities. She is a Member of the Academic Council and Board of Studies of several training colleges in Tamil Nadu. She has undertaken numerous extension activities like developing question banks on General Intelligence and Reasoning, introducing new elective courses such as Technical Writing for M.Ed., developing a curriculum for computer science school teachers, co-ordinating Faculty Development Programmes, conducting microteaching workshops for the Academic Staff Colleges, co-ordinating National Workshops on Improvised Aids in Science Education, etc.
Dr. Radha Mohan is Associate Editor of The Indian Educational Researcher ISSN0974-2123 published by Stella Matutina College of Education, Chennai. She has been selected for inclusion in the ‘Asian/American Who’s Who’ Vol. V. and was also nominated for ‘Great Women of the 21st Century’ at the American Biographical Institute, Inc. Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.
- Ph.D. (Education)—Effect of Different Modes of CAI on Achievement in Physics of Students of Higher Secondary Schools in Computer-Aided Instruction, University of Madras (1987)
- M.Ed., Stella Matutina College of Education, Chennai (1983)
- B.Ed., Stella Matutina College of Education, Chennai (1981)
- M.Sc. Physics, Madras Christian College (1972)
- B.Sc. Physics, Queen Mary’s College, Chennai (1969) (Third state rank; awarded National Merit Scholarship)
- Indian School Certificate Convent of Jesus and Mary, New Delhi, 1965
- Diploma in Technical Writing (Developed an Instructor’s Manual for ‘Research Methods in Education), SA International Simon Fraser University, Canada (2005)
- P.G. Diploma in Higher Education, IGNOU (1999) (Gold Medalist)
- UGC Visiting Associateship, Department of Research Methodology, TISS, Mumbai (1995)
- Diploma in System Analysis and Data Processing, Annamalai University (1991)
- Certificate in Digital Literacies for Online Learning, OER (2019)
Teaching and Research Experience
- Principal, Rajalakshmi College of Education, Thandalam, Chennai (5 years)
- Lecturer and Reader at Stella Matutina College Of Education, Chennai (18 years)
- Ten students have been awarded the Ph.D. degree from the University of Madras
- Supervised six M.Phil. students for their dissertations from the Madras, Periyar and Madurai Kamaraj University
- Guided twelve M.Ed. theses in diverse areas
- Completed a UGC Minor Project titled ‘A Multilevel Model of School Effectiveness in Chennai’
- Has published over 25 papers in research journals and online publications and presented numerous papers at conferences and seminars
Other Academic Engagement
- Examiner for M.Ed., M.Phil. and Ph.D. theses of Annamalai, Madras, SNDT, Mumbai, Kerala and Karnatak universities as well as some autonomous colleges in Chennai.
- Was the University nominee on the Governing Board and Academic Council of the Institute of Advanced Studies in Education, Saidapet, Chennai
- Was Coordinator of IQAC of Stella Matutina College of Education
- Was a Question Paper Setter for the Teacher Recruitment Board Examination for secondary school teachers in 2005
- NAAC peer team member
- An approved faculty member of NCTE for inspection of training colleges and training institutes.
- Assessor for CMET
- Resource person in UGC –Academic Staff Colleges
- Introduced innovative methods in the B.Ed. curriculum with stress on web-based resources
- Member of curriculum review committees.
- Measurement, Evaluation and Assessment in Education. PHI Learning Private Ltd. New Delhi. 2016. ISBN: 978-81-203-5250-6 (Textbook for various universities)
- Using SPSS for Research. Neelkamal Publications.2016. ((Textbook for various universities)
- Research Methods in Education. Neelkamal Publications. 2003 (2nd edition 2010) (Textbook for various universities)
- Teacher Education. Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi. Eastern Economy Edition. 2nd Edition 2019. (Textbook for various universities)
- Innovative Science Teaching–A Textbook for Physical Science Teachers. Prentice Hall of India. Eastern Economy Edition. 2019. 4th edition. (Textbook for various universities)
- 51 Projects in Physics for Schools. Sura Publishers. 2000. Translated into several European languages. (Textbook for various universities)
- Methods of Teaching Physical Science (English) (for Tamil Nadu Teacher Education University syllabus), Neelkamal Publications (Pvt) Ltd. 2010 (Textbook for various universities)
- Education in Emerging Indian Society (2nd Ed.) (Sunanda Ghosh and Radha Mohan) PHI Learning Private Ltd. New Delhi. 2016 (Textbook for various universities)
- Exploring Computers—Level 1 to 8 (with Nancy Sehgal) Pearson Education 2006
- Physics for Pleasure for Matriculation Schools. BI Publications. (Std. 8 and 9). 1998
- Chemistry for Pleasure for Matriculation Schools. BI Publications. (Std. 9). 1998.
- Test Preparatory Material for B.Ed. Entrance Examination. (with Dr. Anice James) Sura Publishers. 2001, 2002, 2003
- Associate Editor of The Indian Educational Researcher ISSN0974-2123 published by the Stella Matutina College of Education, Chennai
- Editor for UVOCorp from 2016 till 2018
- Chief Editor of the series Physics for Pleasure (for school students), BI Publications
- Member, Editorial Board, The Science Education Review
- Member, Editorial Board, The Indian Educational Researcher ISSN0974-2123
Honours and Awards
- Was nominated for The American Biographical Institute International Women's Review Board in April 2008
- Selected for inclusion in the ‘Asian/American Who’s Who’ Vol. V.
- Was nominated to Great Women of the 21st Century—American Biographical Institute, Inc. Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.
- Life Member, All India Association for Educational Research
- Life Member, S.I.T.U. Council of Educational Research