Dr. Sreevalsa Kumar is Professor and Head of School of Psychology, Philosophy and Scientific Heritage. He holds a Doctoral degree in Psychology, in the application of behaviour modification on adolescents with intellectual disabilities. For over 31 years, Prof. Kumar has been teaching courses in psychology, rehabilitation, disability studies and special needs education, supervising practicum and advising senior essays, theses and dissertations in India and Ethiopia. During his academic tenure at the Addis Ababa University, in Ethiopia, for 15 years, eight students graduated with Ph.D. degrees under his guidance. He served at the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, as a visiting professor and also visited the University of Munich, Germany, as a special invitee.
He has been on the Ph.D. board of examiners of several universities abroad including the University of Canterbury, New Zealand. Prof. Kumar, a regular conference attendee, has published numerous research articles in peer-reviewed international and national journals and also a few book chapters. He has also served organisations in India and Ethiopia as a consultant and trainer.
- B.A. Psychology, University of Kerala
- M.A. Psychology with specialisation in Social and Industrial Psychology, University of Kerala
- Ph.D. Psychology, University of Kerala
Psychopathology, Organisational Psychology, Health Psychology, Psychological Aspects of Disability, Clinical Psychology, Personality, Social Psychology, Developmental Psychology, General Psychology, Scientific Writing
Psychosocial aspects of disability experience, behavioural management of youngsters with emotional and behavioural disorders, psychological capital among people with disabilities.
- Psychosocial aspects of disability experience
- Behavioural interventions with different target groups such as children and youth with emotional and behavioural difficulties and adults with various psychological problems and disorders
- Habilitation and rehabilitation of persons with different disabilities
- Assistant and Associate Professor, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- Lecturer, Academy of Prison and Correctional Administration, Vellore
- Lecturer, Balavikas Teachers’ Training Centre
Select Research Publications
- Kumar, R. S., & Teklu, F. (2018) Students’ experience and attitude towards corporal punishment in the elementary schools of the central zone of Tigray Region in Ethiopia. Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review, XXXIV, 1, 207-230.
- Kumar, R. S., & Teklu, F. (2016). Corporal punishment in the first cycle primary schools of the central zone of Tigray Region in Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Journal of Education. 36, 1, 47-78.
- Kumar, R. S. (2016). Behavioural interventions in futuristic schools. In K. Sharma (Ed.). Inclusive education: perspectives and paradigm in professional practice (IEP4) (pp. 35-63). New Delhi: S. R. Publishing House. ISBN 978-93-82884-53-8
- Kumar, R. S., & Sani, A. (2015). Academic stress and coping strategies among students with disabilities in Addis Ababa University. Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review, XXXI, 2, 83-100.
- Teklu, F., & Kumar, R. S. (2014). Teachers’ attitude towards corporal punishment: elementary schools of the central zone of Tigray Region in Ethiopia in focus. Ethiopian Journal of the Social Sciences and Humanities. X, 2, 51-74.