Initially conceptualised as a cerebral exercise for aspiring scholars to commit the Vedas to their memory, Avadhanam, a classical art form unique to India, has evolved over centuries into an awe-inspiring literary performance. It exhibits an individual’s superior cognitive abilities such as powers of observation, memory, multitasking, and creativity, through tasks that draw upon multiple frontiers of intelligence. Any art stands on its ability to create a sense of extraordinariness in its perceiver. In this regard, an extempore act scores better as the element of surprise is much more, both for the artist and connoisseur. Constraints of time, space, and the presence of a live audience or onlookers who eagerly behold the creation of art as it unfolds – these and many other factors, add value to an impromptu performance. It is thus quite obvious, that a feat like Avadhanam, having components which challenge the artist in so many ways – erudition, creativity, memory, presence of mind, wit, ability to hold the attention of the audience etc. – is bound to cause a great sense of wonder and amazement.
Date: 17 – 19 June 2022
Call for Papers
- We invite researchers to present their papers in this first ever conference on Avadhanam – Papers will be accepted in both Sanskrit and English.
- All papers selected for presentation, will receive an incentive of INR 1000/-
- CfA will honor one best paper in each of the sub-themes with a cash prize of INR 3000/- and a certificate.
- Proposals for panels may be sent to email@example.com
- All accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings.
- Last date for submission of abstract – 31 March 2022
- Last date for submission of full papers – 31 May 2022
- Conference dates: 17 – 19 June 2022
Dr. Ramakrishna Pejathaya, Director | firstname.lastname@example.org | +91 9844210845
Dr. Mridula Aswin, Project Assistant | email@example.com | +91 9497390716