Dr. Sreevalsa holds Doctoral degree in Psychology, specifically on the application of behavior modification on adolescents with intellectual disabilities. For over 29 years, Dr. Kumar has been teaching courses in psychology, rehabilitation, disability studies and special needs education, supervised practicum and advised senior essays, theses and dissertations in India and Ethiopia. During his academic tenure at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia for 15 years, six students graduated with PhD degrees under his guidance. He served University of Jyvaskyla, Finland as visiting professor and also visited University of Munich, Germany as a special invitee.
He has been on the Ph.D board of examiners of several universities abroad including University of Canterbury, New Zealand. Dr. Kumar, a regular conference attendant, has published numerous research articles in peer reviewed international and national journals and also a few book chapters. Dr. Kumar also served organizations in India and Ethiopia as consultant and trainer.
- B.A. Psychology from University of Kerala
- M.A. Psychology with specializations in Social and Industrial Psychology, University of Kerala
- Ph.D. Psychology, University of Kerala
Psychopathology, Organizational Psychology, Health Psychology, Psychological Aspects of Disability, Clinical Psychology, Personality, Social Psychology
Psychosocial aspects of disability experience, Behavioral management of youngsters with emotional disorders, Behavioral management of youngsters with behavioral disorders.
- Psychosocial aspects of disability experience
- Behavioral interventions with different target groups such as children and youth with emotional and behavioral difficulties and adults with various psychological problems and disorders
- Habilitation and rehabilitation of persons with different disabilities
- Assistant and associate professor at Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- Lecturer at Academy of Prison and Correctional Administration, Vellore
- Lecture at Balavikas Teachers’ Training Centre
- Kumar, R. S., & Teklu, F. (2018) Students’ experience and attitude towards corporal punishment in the elementary schools of the central zone of Tigray Region in Ethiopia. Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review, XXXIV, 1, 207-230.
- Kumar, R. S., & Teklu, F. (2016). Corporal punishment in the first cycle primary schools of the central zone of Tigray Region in Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Journal of Education. 36, 1, 47-78.
- Kumar, R. S. (2016). Behavioural interventions in futuristic schools. In K. Sharma (Ed.). Inclusive education: perspectives and paradigm in professional practice (IEP4) (pp. 35-63). New Delhi: S. R. Publishing House. ISBN 978-93-82884-53-8
- Kumar, R. S., & Sani, A. (2015). Academic stress and coping strategies among students with disabilities in Addis Ababa University. Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review, XXXI, 2, 83-100.
- Teklu, F., & Kumar, R. S. (2014). Teachers’ attitude towards corporal punishment: elementary schools of the central zone of Tigray Region in Ethiopia in focus. Ethiopian Journal of the Social Sciences and Humanities. X, 2, 51-74.